To submit an application, scroll down and complete the application form at the bottom of this page.
DeKalb Symphony Orchestra
Annual Young Artists Concerto Competition
March 24, 2020
Marvin Cole Auditorium
Georgia State University
The DeKalb Symphony Orchestra (DSO) is hosting our Young Artists Concerto Competition to encourage and recognize local, talented high school student musicians. Winners receive a cash award plus the opportunity to perform with the DSO on March 24, 2020 during the 2019-2020 concert season.
The competition is open to piano, strings, winds, brass and percussion students attending high school in the state of Georgia as of January 1, 2020.
All concerto winners will have the opportunity to perform their auditioned piece with the DSO. In addition, the first place winner will receive $500, the second place winner will receive $300 and the third place winner will receive $200. Previous first place winners are disqualified from participating in the year immediately following their award.
Students should select a movement from a concerto or other work from the standard repertoire that is performed with orchestral accompaniment. All works must have orchestral parts available. Special permission is needed for complete concertos in a single movement.
Students are required to submit a preliminary audition recording of their concerto selection. Acceptable media formats are a physical CD-R or USB thumb drive, or a file may be uploaded to the DSO website. Accepted media types are WAV or MP3. Except for submissions from piano applicants, the audition recording should include piano accompaniment. Competitors must perform the selection indicated on their application form; substitutions are not allowed.
GUIDELINES FOR FINAL LIVE AUDITION
- The applicant must be prepared to play the audition piece from memory.
- Applicants must bring their own piano accompanist to play the orchestral reduction. Piano soloists will not need to have an accompanist.
- The applicant is required to bring for the judges one original score of the soloist’s part. If the edition of the music is in the public domain, copies or printouts from the internet are acceptable.
- Mark any cuts in pencil in the score.
- The audition should not exceed 15 minutes. The judges may request specific passages to be played (e.g. a cadenza).
- Piano accompanists should take appropriate cuts in orchestral sections.
Applications are to be completed online (see weblink below) prior to 11:59 pm on January 6, 2020 or mailed with a postmark on or before January 6, 2020. If mailed, send to:
DeKalb Symphony Orchestra
Young Artists Concerto Competition
P.O. Box 1313
Tucker, GA 30085
All of the following application materials are required to enter:
- A completed printed application form or submission of our online application form.
- The student’s own preliminary audition recording of their concerto selection on CD-R, thumb drive (WAV or MP3 file) or uploaded to the DSO website.
- Application fee ($40 non-refundable check or money order, payable to DeKalb Symphony Orchestra). You may also pay via PayPal.
Applicants will be notified by email of their acceptance to the final live auditions by January 11, 2020.
The final live auditions will be held on Saturday afternoon, February 8, at the Fine Arts Building (building CF-north entrance) located at Georgia State University, Clarkston Campus. The GPS address is 3735 Memorial College Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30021. The parking lot entrances are numbered 3 & 5. A panel of impartial professional musicians appointed by the DSO Music Director will judge these auditions.
Finalists will be notified of their assigned audition time via email by January 17.
Winners will be notified by February 12. The decisions of the judges are final. Judges are not required to select a 2nd or 3rd place winner if no applicant qualifies in the opinion of the judges.
The competition winners will perform at the DSO concert on Tuesday, March 24, 2020 at 8 pm. They will be expected to attend an orchestral rehearsal on Sunday evening, March 22, and a dress rehearsal on Monday evening, March 23.
Questions about the competition should be directed to email@example.com. You may also call the DSO at 678-891-3565. Technical questions about submitting an online application should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We're sorry, but the application deadline for the Concerto Competition was January 6, 2020. Please stay tuned to our Facebook page and website for additional information. Join us on March 24, 2020 to hear our talented finalists perform!
If you would like to pay your $40 application fee online, you may pay via PayPal.